Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Newborn Photography


Planning Your Newborn Session

My newborn sessions take a minimum of 2 hours to complete. This includes time for diaper changes, feedings, soothing, scene and outfit changes, and whatever else may come. One thing is to expect the unexpected with newborn sessions! Newborns are often unpredictable. Keep your camera ready at all times because you never know when that smile is going to come!

If the session is at my studio, I always make sure to have the room nice and warm(around 80 degrees) so the baby will be comfortable while photographed naked. This often means short sleeves and shorts for me even in the dead of winter. Although gloves are a good idea. Babies don't like cold hands!

I also have the first scene set up and ready before my appointment arrives. This helps to get things started smoothly. Make sure to let the parents know what to expect during there session. This will help a lot. It takes time and PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE! You can not rush a newborn. I always tell my parents to expect 2 hours at least, bring extra diapers, wipes, spit up cloths, etc. and bring a friend or family member with them to help.

I make sure to have all scene changes ready and together that includes props, backgrounds, etc. so that I know where everything is and can change scenes as quickly as possible.

Here are 2 samples from my recent newborn sessions:

Little Miss Olivia Rose
Sweet Little Jensen

I hope you find this information useful in your sessions. More tips to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What brand of camera do you use?

Which camera brand do you use?