Thursday, October 25, 2012

Standing Out In The Crowd

Getting Noticed

If you have read my previous posts, then you know I ordered the free business cards from vistaprint.com. They only cost me about $7 in shipping and handling and I got 250 one-sided cards. I still agree that this is a great way to get started and get your name out there. However, I have ran into some problems.

1. Do people perceive my business cards as cheap? All they have to do is flip them over to know I got them for free!

2. I recently set out some business cards at a children's boutique which already had 5 other photographers cards on the table! Mine was a generic card that did not stand out in the crowd. 2 of the photographers were well known in the community. If I was a customer, there is no way I'm picking up all 5 cards. Most likely, I am going with the name I know or the card that is the most appealing to me visually. So with that in mind, my cards didn't stand a chance

3. I set my cards out at the local antique store and someone had the same exact design as mine!

Testing the waters

So now what to do? The only advertisement I have going for me is my Facebook page and my business cards. But are my cards doing the job? I decided to experiment.

 I went to http://us.moo.com/ and ordered a nicer business card. I bought the smallest pack available and have decided to put the nicer cards in one store and the generic ones in another and see which ones get picked up faster! I will put the same amount of cards at each store and then check back in a week to check the results. Check back with my blog next week to see the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What brand of camera do you use?

Which camera brand do you use?